In IT or Information Technology industry people will be changing their jobs. This could be an internal job in the same company or when you join another company as a lateral hire. Myself being a developer, let’s talk on how to become successful at a new job when you joined as developer role.
Priority items to pursue by any professional at new job to become successful :
- Right skill for the new job.
- Understand the project in depth at the new job.
- Attitude matters at new job. Maintain good professional relationship at new job with juniors, peers and managers alike.
Let's see in detail what it meant for developer to succeed at new job.
Filling the skill set gap for the new job:
when joined a new job or role and started working on the new project, it's always important to acquire the skill set what you’re new job requires. For example, you would have worked on .NET framework version 2.0, but the new project is being on latest .NET framework.
another example could be when you don't have any experience in database tier. You need to quickly learn the bare minimum database skills required for the new project you work on working on the new project.
without the right skills for the new job, it will be very difficult for effective participation in design discussion and to contribute significantly for the implementation.
So quickly fill the gap in your skill set and start contributing to come become successful developer at the new job.
Understanding the project in depth at the new job:
However technically good we are, what also equally a matter is, how much knowledge we got on the project itself. Developer at new job should understand quickly the overall architecture and structure of the project at least in high level. Try to understand below on the new project:
- The structure of the .NET projects and solutions involved in the systems and the dependency involved between them.
- What are the different systems involved in the system? How does the data flow happen between the systems involved?
- What is the deployment architecture and how does each component in the system get deployed?
- Understand the relationship between the data involved in the system. Try looking at your database schema diagrams.
Attitude matters a lot:
We should behave professionally at the working place. Below points helps:
- Don't let your emotions flow freely when you are at a new job. At a new job, you have not yet understood people around. So they might misunderstand your emotions.
- Don't try to take control of the things in a hurry. Have patience. Respect your juniors.
- First impression is best impression. If you get chance to speak in-front of people in whole project, don't miss the chance. Share your opinion and thank the people who are helping you to understand the project better.